Sunday 19 January 2014

McJoyful Christmas Withdrawals


McJoyful Christmas is pretty much over again until December.  It seems odd not getting up every morning and heading to McDonald's to see the kids.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I just can't say enough how amazing the staff at McDonald's is in Krivoy Rog.  They went above and beyond to help things go smoothly and always so willingly.  Our last day at the restaurant was January 8th but this past Friday we did a day of McJoyful on the road taking the celebration to the disabled children's hospital and to the children's TB hospital.  It was so much fun.  I have never been to the disabled children's hospital before and never knew it existed.  It's the hospital that takes kids from all of the disabled homes around the city when they get sick.  Apparently disabled kids don't go to the "regular" children's hospital and in my North American mindset I find that odd...but any ways.

Since McJoyful, and now that I'm more mobile, I have managed to keep pretty busy.  Last weekend I was at the wedding of a couple of friends.  Weddings in Ukraine are sure different than in Canada and it was fun to experience it complete with a group doing traditional Ukrainian dances.  When I was growing up in Canada I often saw the Shumka Dancers on TV and at that time I never thought of seeing anything like that live...let alone live in Ukraine.

Then this past week I have resumed tagging along with the 2 Lenas visiting several children's homes around town to spend quality time with the kids.  It was so nice to get back to these visits.  I missed it so much when I was sitting around recuperating from my accident and surgery.  When I walked into the homes the kids immediately recognized me from McJoyful, which is a really great ice breaker.  They are all still so excited that they had the opportunity to go McDonald's.  It's going to be very hard for me to stop these visits again when I leave for Canada in less than 2 weeks...sigh.

Also this past week I was able to get a visit in to Boorie Ooglie.  There is a woman here in Krivoy Rog who once a month, at her own expense, cooks up a decent meal for the folks at Boorie Ooglie which a bunch of us helped to deliver and serve.  Her husband divorced her and most of their 7 children live with her.  Her house is in serious need of fixing up, and I mean serious need of fixing up.  The entire inside of house is torn apart in the hopes of getting the renovations done eventually.  I couldn't help but wonder where everyone sleeps as I didn't see much for beds in there.  She has a small farm out back, doesn't have much money and gets next to nothing for support from the ex-husband.  Instead of putting what money she has into fixing up the house she happily spends it preparing meals for the men out of the goodness of her heart.  I made a compliment about a candy Christmas tree decoration that I saw in her house and the next thing I knew she was making a gift of it.  (This is the part where my eyes have too much water in them after seeing how little she has and then seeing how much she gives.)  If only I had enough connections to round up some building supplies and some contractors to come and completely finish her house.  That would be so awesome and I can't think of anyone who deserves a break more.

Speaking of break, I must break it off here for now before I get too long.  Please continue to keep me in your prayers and please especially keep Ukraine in your prayers.  Things are heading in a dangerous direction here and have gotten worse with new violence breaking out today.

Thank you for seeing my heart.  Till next time...я люблю вас!!







At the wedding.  To see a clip of the dancers click this link. 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTS-9Xcigbg 


We were playing a game where the kids had to wrap the adults like a mummy.

This is Galina who cooks the meals for Boorie Ooglie and whose house needs finishing.  She's holding the candy Christmas tree decoration that she made a gift of.



We were so busy dishing and serving things up that I totally forgot to get a photo of the men enjoying this meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment