Tuesday 7 January 2014

Christmas in Ukraine



Today (January 7th) is Christmas in Ukraine.  We have a couple of days off for McJoyful Christmas and then back at it again tomorrow.  It has been so amazing to be a part of this celebration and to see kids I haven't seen in a while and to share their excitement.

For those that don't know what McJoyful Christmas is, it's where Loads of Love charity provides kids in orphanages, people in disabled homes and families in need with a birthday celebration for Jesus at McDonald's.  They are brought in for party games and Happy Meals, given a year's worth of vitamins and told the Christmas story.  For many of them this will be their only celebration of Christmas and going to McDonald's in Ukraine is a HUGE deal.  Where North Americans may visit McDonald's a couple of times a week, the folks here MIGHT get there a couple times per year.  For those that physically can't get to McDonald's deliveries are made to some of the invalid homes so the residents can be a part too.

This year I was able to take part in a traditional Ukrainian Christmas processional (with a few modern twists) that was put on by the Shelter Plus Centre.  We gathered in a park then followed a donkey cart through the streets to another park ending in a drama presentation and the nativity scene.  Along the way there was music, dancing in the street and some street theatre (these were the modern twists).  They also passed out Christmas cookies and a traditional Ukrainian Christmas drink.  I can't remember the name of the drink (I think it was uzvar).  It was made from fruit, something like a compote, and served hot.  (Compote is a drink made from fresh fruits which are boiled then sugar is added to the juice and it is served cold.)  It was so funny going down the street and watching people come out onto their balconies and coming out of the stores to see what was going on.  It's a real traffic stopper when 300 to 500 people cross the street a couple of times together (behind the donkey cart and with a couple of horseback riders and some stilt walkers).  It's even funnier when they are all waving to folks on the trolleybus while at the bus stop with an emcee on a speaker making jokes.  It was an amazing and fun celebration.

Then today a bunch of Ed's workers and some friends celebrated by going out for a meal courtesy of a friend who sponsored it.  Thank you so much JW.  The workers don't get to go out very often and they appreciated it very much and couldn't say it enough.  They were so excited to have a nice meal in a restaurant.  It was a fun way to celebrate Christmas...and even funnier when some of them have never used chopsticks before.  I couldn't help but laugh when the cheater chopsticks came out.

This past weekend I finally faced reality and bought a ticket to Canada.  I arrive in Halifax on January 31st.  By faith I bought a return ticket for July.  A return ticket is cheaper than a one way any ways.  So now I'm trying to work out the logistics of getting a ride from the airport, what I'm going to live off of, etc.  If anyone has any job suggestions I'd appreciate that too.  I am praying that I can get more sponsors and raise enough money so that I can continue life on the road showing God's love to those that need to see it.  I just can't see myself doing anything else.

If you would like to help me to continue to show God's love you can send a gift on line by clicking the LinK 127 link on the right side of the blog.  You can also send a gift to the address below or an e-transfer to blairslife1@gmail.com.  Please remember to include a note advising that your gift is for me and how you would like me to use it.  Donations from Canada are tax deductible (but not those by e-transfer) and every dollar counts. 

LinK 127
833 Canaan Mountain Rd.
Kentville, NS Canada
B4N 4K1

Please keep me in your prayers.  Thank you for your support and for seeing my heart.  Till next time...я люблю вас!!

These boys were so fascinated with my beard and kept rubbing it.




Part of the Christmas procession


One of the street theatre stops along the procession


A choir singing traditional Ukrainian Christmas songs at another stop.  To see a short clip check this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ioxA_iEORQ 


Christmas Day dinner

Ed's workers and some friends

No comments:

Post a Comment