Saturday 28 January 2012

A Huge Blessing


Normally I don’t do blog entries so close together but I thought this was too good to wait.  For those of you who might have been concerned about me getting enough to eat this is to show there’s no need to worry and to show how blessed beyond measure I am.

The mothers here in Ukraine also fuss over me getting enough to eat.  They are like grandmothers and mothers everywhere – they feed you until you just want to die.  When I was at a friend’s house last weekend for some home made borscht and perogies they said that they would gladly come to my house to cook for me.  They had also asked me what kinds of food I liked.  I didn’t really think anything of it but here people usually say what they mean and today Olena came to the apartment with a translator friend Lena T. and spent the entire afternoon making borscht and cabbage rolls, and she brought a cake.  (I also think this might be a match making effort by another mother Ira T. lol.)

We had a great afternoon of cooking & visiting.  Olena put us all to work and the translator also got a great cooking lesson.  I got off easy with just peeling some vegetables & chopping onions.  After everything was cooked we sat down to an amazing meal.  Then she said that she would gladly come to my place every Saturday to cook for me.  So now I’m just wondering what’s going to happen next weekend.  I just might end up weighing 300 pounds on this Ukrainian adventure.

So now for leftovers I have a 4 litre pot of amazing borscht and a huge pan full of cabbage rolls (and cake).  I also had no idea how labour intensive and time consuming it is to make cabbage rolls so I’ll never take for granted the size of this blessing.  Here are the pictures.  Till next time...Я люблю тебя!

Olena hard at work

The main ingredient to borscht.

Cabbage leaves waiting to be filled.

Making sure Lena is doing it right.
There's a LOT in this pan.

The cabbage rolls are covered in a (home made) tomato sauce, lemons, parsley, the left over cabbage & meat & then simmered until done.

Borscht
I didn't get a good picture of today's borscht but here's what last weekend's batch looked like.


Cake with sour cream & mandarin topping.  (It can be made with any fruit.)









No comments:

Post a Comment