Thursday 9 February 2012

Not Much Excitement


Well there hasn’t been a whole lot going on this week.  I finally managed to finish off the cabbage rolls and I still have one bowl of borscht left in the freezer.

Ukraine is having a record cold winter and I haven’t strayed far.  The temperatures have been hovering from minus 15 down to minus 35.  (To translate for those who haven’t caught up with the rest of the world yet, that’s 5 down to minus 31 Fahrenheit.)   The cold has been quite a concern here as many people have died because of it.  As of February 5th there were 131 deaths in Ukraine alone and many more throughout Europe.  Most of those who died were homeless people who died of exposure while others died in their homes, likely because they couldn’t afford to heat them.  And now in yesterday’s news someone in the government is saying the deaths are alcohol related.  As far as I’m concerned that’s a poor attempt to deflect blame for overlooking the homeless and impoverished to begin with.  But I guess it’s impolite for me to talk about someone else’s government.  They also closed schools last week in Kyiv because of the cold and now they’re closing them again from February 10th to 13th.  (This is kind of like us having a storm day in Canada.)

Other than the cold I have been continuing with my Russian lessons.  I’m so blessed to have a VERY patient teacher.  However, as I type this blog entry I should be studying for a test tomorrow.  I am slowly getting better though.  I was able to pick out more words in last Sunday’s sermon and I was able to figure out the scripture.  My teacher tells me that my pronunciation is perfect; apparently a lot of North Americans have trouble with the rolling of the R’s thing.  So I guess it will all come with time.

I’ve also been helping at Sunshine Orphanage.  A couple of weeks ago we had a birthday party for those who had birthdays in January.  I will also be helping out Lena T. with her Saturday programme spending time with the younger kids.  It’ll be bittersweet for me to see Sunshine Orphanage closed for good by summer but there are other orphanages and disabled homes to go to.

As for my ongoing saga of my external hard drive that died, I got it back this week from the computer guy and I’m still sorting out the saved files.  He was able to save some photos but all of the videos are gone.  He was just able to save a few stills from some of them.  It’s a good thing I copied my family genealogy before I left Canada.  For those of you who got copies of documents, photos and videos from me over the last several years I would love to hear from you.

So I guess I’ll leave it here for now and (try to) get back to studying.  Till next time...Я люблю тебя!


Party for January birthdays

The Saturday Programme

The girls were asked to draw a picture of me and this is the result.  I look pretty good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment