Monday 1 July 2013

Catching My Breath



It's been a busy couple of weeks and I finally have time to sit down to write this update and to catch my breath.  In this past 2 weeks I helped out a few days at the Shelter Plus Centre with some day camps as well as going to a team building session this past weekend for Shelter Plus' volunteers.

I have also been visiting a little friend Maxim in the hospital.  Max is 8 years old and is one of the kids I visited in the former Sunshine Orphanage.  He has a lazy eye and needs corrective surgery for it.  He was transferred to another orphanage when Sunshine was closed and his new orphanage quickly made arrangements for him to get his surgery which will hopefully be this week.  Natalie brought him a bag full of toys and crafts and I brought him some groceries and treats and we spent some quality time with him.  In the hospitals here if friends or family don't bring food to patients they only get a "Boorie Ooglie" meal.  Although, Max is liked by the hospital staff and when I was there last a nurse had brought him some berries and homemade pastries.

I was not able to get back to the baby hospital for a visit as they have issued a month long quarantine and no visitors are allowed.  Instead, I was able to tag along with our Australian friend Gilli-Anne on a visit to the baby orphanage to spend quality time with some of the kids there.

In my last update I mentioned some activities that I want to raise funds for.  Well, hallelujah things have moved fast.  I had mentioned that I was sponsoring 1 picnic for the Boorie Ooglie folks and since then Gilli-Anne pitched in for 2 picnics as well as for the repairs of the pipes at the Rehab Centre.  Once the workers here get money in hand they move fast and this past week we had those 3 picnics.  It is always so good to see the residents enjoy some decent meals and a day of relaxation and swimming in the park.  Our coordinator here, Ira T., is so grateful to everyone who pitched in.  To those in Canada and Australia who donated, thank you soooo much.

As it is still the beginning of summer, Ira mentioned that they would like to have more picnics for the Boorie Ooglie folks over the summer.  Believe me, I would like to get the residents out of that place as often as I can so that they can get as many decent meals as possible and enjoy some pleasant surroundings.  Ira said that to hold one picnic it costs $450 (US) or a block of 4 days of picnics costs $1000 (US).  Would you like to help to improve the quality of life for these wonderful folks and give them some dignity they deserve so much?

So that's the nutshell version of my activities this past 2 weeks.  Added to the excitement was the earthquake and the strange weather.  Oh yeah...the earthquake...one night after midnight we had a 4.6 quake, which rarely happens in Krivoy Rog.  It lasted literally for 2 seconds shaking my bed enough to wake me up and it rattled the closet doors.  My 1st reaction was that someone had broken into the apartment but when I saw that everything was still secure I thought that maybe it was a mine explosion as Krivoy Rog is full of collieries.  After checking the news the next morning I realized then what had happened.  As for the strange weather - while we were away on the weekend we had a big thunder and lightening storm with heavy rain at the park and there were stories of hail the size of golf balls in town.  When I came back home I saw that there were a lot of leaves down in the neighbourhood and then I looked out my window and saw broken glass and building tiles all over the back yard.  I checked the news and not only were there pictures of golf ball sized hail someone had also posted video of a small twister.  So needless to say life has been VERY interesting here.  It makes me wonder what's in store next.

If you would like to help me to sponsor more picnics and other activities or to help with my ongoing support please click the donations link at the right side of the blog for LinK 127 to donate on line.  You can also mail a donation to the address below or send an e-transfer to blairslife1@gmail.com.  Please remember to specify that your donation is for me and where you may want me to direct your gift.  You can also arrange monthly donations through LinK 127.  Canadian donations are tax deductible (but not those by e-transfer) and every dollar counts towards showing love to those who really need to see it.

Thank you for your continued prayers and support and thank you for seeing my heart.  Till next time… Я люблю тебя!  Happy Canada Day!!



LinK 127
34 Wynn Castle Dr.
Lwr. Sackville, NS
Canada B4E 2H5

One of the activities at the Shelter Plus day camp

Team building session for Shelter Plus volunteers

Max inspecting the goodies

Bubbles are always a hit at the baby orphanage

One of the picnics for Boorie Ooglie folks

On this day it was 40 degrees.  It was a great day to be at the river.




No comments:

Post a Comment