Sunday 23 December 2012

This is Going to be a GREAT Christmas!!



On Christmas Day last year I left Canada on the biggest step of faith I have ever taken and started my new life.  WOW!!…a year already…and it has been an amazing year in so many ways.  I’m not going to do a year end review of my entire goings on.  You can look at my previous blog entries to see everything.  Yes, I’ve had some dramatic lows this year but the higher than highs have more than made up for it.  I don’t want to trade this in for anything and God has not said to stop doing it yet - and He knows what it’ll take to convince me of anything.  His convincing is how I ended up here in the first place. 

This past week I have been busy experiencing some of the higher than highs.  Katya and I went to the baby hospital to visit the kids in the abandoned baby section.  It’s always so humbling to me that these babies get so much out of just being held and talked to and it’s always so heartbreaking when they start crying when it’s time for us to leave.  On this visit the head nurse led us into a different area than we were in when I visited last summer.  I knew the hospital had been doing some kind of renovations but when I walked into the new section I was shocked in a good way of how different everything was.  They literally went from floor to ceiling and wall to wall leaving nothing untouched.  There is new windows, new furniture, new lights and everything electrical replaced, new sinks and radiators, new wall and floor coverings, nice pictures on the walls, new toys, you name it, it was shiny new.  I was so amazed at how much better it is.

I also got a kick out the head nurse when I was holding one of the babies.  Now I’ll have to paint a picture here.  This lady is a tall lady, kind of broad shouldered and her mannerisms remind me of - well, a strict warden.  She has a big presence and seems to take her job very seriously.  Any ways, she walked past the door and looked at me holding the baby (probably to make sure I was doing things right) and very briefly gave one of those only a mother can give satisfaction smiles.  I just love it when this kind of crack shows in someone’s exterior appearance.

I also got to Boorie Ooglie disabled home for another visit this week.  I was able to sponsor a lunch which consisted of Anya P.’s home made Olivier salad (I call it potato salad) with pickles and bread, mandarin oranges, coffee, Anya’s home made pastries and, of course, candy.  The men really enjoyed this and it was great just to watch them enjoy it.  They usually don’t get a meal that’s this tasty…just don’t get me started on the menu there.

I also went with Katya and a few friends to Sunshine Orphanage for a pizza night…and candy.  The kids had a great time helping to make and eat the pizza.  It was so good to see them again as this was the first chance I’ve had to get there since I got back from Kyrgyzstan.  And then to end off the week I went with a new friend Igor to the kids programme at Shelter Plus Church.  I had no idea an amazing place like this was in Krivoy Rog.  Of all of the descriptions I have heard and the photos I’ve seen of Bill Wilson’s Metro Ministries in Brooklyn, New York this seemed very similar to it except it’s a smaller crowd and they don’t send out school buses to bring the kids in.  That would be awesome if they had the space and the budget to do that.  Then I’d be making sure that every orphanage and children’s home would be on the route.

That’s my goings on for this week.  On Monday we start McJoyful Christmas which runs until our Christmas Eve on January 6th.  So your Christmas Day will find me in costume telling a story to the kids at McDonald’s and having a Big Mac combo (which is still the only thing I know how to order in Russian) instead of turkey.  Then the day will end at Sunshine Orphanage where they will be celebrating the anniversary of the orphanage.  It’s going to be one of the best Christmases EVER!!!  Then on New Year’s Eve I’ll be at church for celebrations there.

As I always say - thank you for seeing my heart.  Thank you also for your prayers and support.  As I have also said before, I just can’t do this without you.  I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and pray God's blessings on you in the New Year.  Till next time...я люьлю тебя!!
 
The new look at the baby hospital abandoned baby section


Anya (on the left) and Ira preparing the lunch at Boorie Ooglie

Ira always makes sure there's pictures of me when I visit - I now call her Paparazzi Mama

(a different) Igor sharing with one of the residents

Pizza night - Katya is on the right



This is James.  His couch was the 1st place I stayed in Krivoy Rog last year until the apartment was available.  He runs a programme at Sunshine providing a computer lab/activity room for the kids there.


My new friend Igor giving a lesson at Shelter Plus Church

James making balloon animals for the kids

Some of the programme at Shelter Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment