Sunday 16 September 2012

Winding Down Here…Getting Ready to Go There



This coming week is my last in Ukraine for a while as I’m preparing to go back to Kyrgyzstan next week.  Immigration laws keep me moving and my 3 months is just about up here.  So I’m winding down things here in Krivoy Rog. 

This past week Anya and I continued our visits to the baby hospital.  On Monday’s visit the little boy whose mother “forgot” him for 2 weeks took what we think were his first steps by himself.  Watching him let go and take a few hands free steps I was so humbled thinking that actual parents were not a part of this big milestone.  Then on Thursday we visited a new baby who the police brought in the night before.  The nurses didn’t even know her name yet and she wasn’t able to tell anyone as she has very little vocabulary and talks mostly baby talk.  She seemed to answer to Masha.  We figure she is between 1½ to 2 years old and the only other detail given was that her mother was in a mental institution for an assessment.  (Another visitor said that the next day her mother was there and looked like she had been abused.)  We spent the morning with this sweet and very bright girl but when it was time to leave she started crying…the real loud, screaming, heartbreaking kind of crying that was echoing throughout the corridors of the hospital.  Needless to say it seemed like a very long walk down the hall when we left…sigh.  So obviously we’ll have to check on her this week to see if she is still there and see how she’s doing.

Also this past week Yura and I armed with more candies made another visit to see the folks at Boorie Ooglie.  The new kitchen looks finished and they were giving it a good cleaning to get it ready.  Yura also showed me a partially built building on the property that I had not seen before.  It was supposed to be the replacement for the disabled home but construction stopped, as construction stopped everywhere, with the fall of the Soviet Union and I guess Ukraine never found the money to finish it.  That’s why the residents are in a very old and run down facility.  But at least there has been some folks sponsoring some repainting and things that I mentioned in my last blog entry to make the surroundings more pleasant for the residents right now.  At this point one can only dream about a shiny new facility with proper plumbing and accessibility features where the residents are given a better quality of life.

So to wind down, this week I hope to visit the kids at the rehab centre as well as get a couple of baby hospital visits in before I leave for Kyrgyzstan.  I have a wish list of things that I would like to do when I get to Tokmok but right now I only have the budget just to love on the folks there.  On top of this costs are higher in Kyrgyzstan than in Ukraine.  At least the visa laws in Kyrgyzstan have changed recently where I don’t have to buy a visa for a 60 day stay.  But I know God didn’t call me there without plans for pulling things off…all in His time.  Your continued prayers are really appreciated.

If anyone wishes to help with my ongoing support or any of our programmes, or to help me sponsor activities and needs just click the donation link for LinK 127 at the right side of this blog.  You can donate on line or find the mailing address under the “Details and Contact info” tab to send a cheque.  When mailing a donation please include a note to specify where you may like your gift to be directed to.  (For on line donations there’s a drop down box with my name in it and then a memo box.)  Donations from Canada are tax deductible.

Thank you for seeing my heart.  Till next time…Я люблю тебя!

A few minutes after this photo was taken he took some steps by himself.


This is the temporary kitchen for Boorie Ooglie

This was to be the new Boorie Ooglie before the USSR fell

Yura (on the right) with a resident of Boorie Ooglie and another view of the partially built building


Some of the Boorie Ooglie folks and me

No comments:

Post a Comment