Sunday 30 September 2012

Back Home Again




On Tuesday I arrived back home in Kyrgyzstan after 3 days of travelling by planes, train and automobiles…and a couple of buses.  Sunday I left Krivoy Rog on the overnight train to Kyiv.  One of my travelling mates was a lady about my age who, like all of the Ukrainian mothers, fussed over me to make sure I wasn’t too cold or whatever.  I said I was fine but she threw a blanket over me any ways.  (You just aren’t able to say no to a Ukrainian mother.  They don’t hear that word.)  Then I had a dry throat overnight and started coughing.  Without hesitation and without me saying anything she ran & got me some water and fussed over me some more.  I give all honour to those who have a mother’s heart, especially those who help a stranger without even thinking about it.

After not having supper the night before, I got to the shiny brand new terminal at the airport only to find out that there are no restaurants, no concessions, no vending machines, nothing, not even a duty free shop.  Although, I had previously read in the press that there were some bureaucratic issues that closed them down which apparently had not been resolved yet, even though it was supposed to have been settled a couple of weeks ago.  At least I had a Milka bar in my bag.  Otherwise I had to wait until lunch time on board my flight to eat.  Turkish Airlines feeds you well on their flights no matter how short the flight is - unlike Air Canada.  Then with an 8 hour layover in Istanbul I had a great choice of restaurants at that airport to choose from for supper.

My flights and everything went smoothly with no lost luggage and now I’m in Tokmok for 2 months.  Since I was here last spring Kyrgyzstan has changed the visa laws.  People from 44 countries including Canada can now come in for a 60 day stay without having to buy a visa.  Longer stays still require a visa.

Now that I’m settled in and ready to go I hope to make some rounds this week to get updates on how some of our kids are doing and to see if I can get some activities arranged.  I have no idea yet what I can do on a very tight budget.  The kids at the orphanages have so little and I really would like to show up with more than a hug.  But God has this way of showing up at the right time.

If you would like to help me sponsor some activities for the kids, some treats, or maybe an outing, just click the LinK 127 donation link at the right side of this blog where you can donate on line.  You can also mail a cheque to the address below.  Just remember to include a note to specify where to apply your donation.  Remember that donations from Canada are tax deductible.

Again, I ask for your continued prayers and support.  I can’t do this without all of you.  I always remember what a missionary friend said when a bunch of us visited her a few years ago.  She said that she is only as effective in her work as the prayers are back home.

Thank you for seeing my heart.  Till next time…Я люблю тебя!


LinK 127
34 Wynn Castle Dr.
Lower Sackville, NS
Canada B4E 2H5


Yura made sure I got the right train

I had the compartment all to myself for the first hour

A view from the airport in Istanbul


A view from my apartment.  Since I got here it's been either smoggy or cloudy.  I promise there's mountains there somewhere.

A few blocks from my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment