Sunday 9 September 2012

Another School Year Has Begun



The kids here started another school year this past Monday and with a new school year it brings forward more and more needs.  On top of the usual requests for help I have received requests for donations for books, school supplies, back to school clothes and more.  The kids in the orphanages have very little and it is disheartening to see the disappointment their eyes when they aren’t able to get something that we take for granted in North America.  I was able to help with a few things but then when I looked at my bank book I could only say “Oy!”  I’m not to the position where I need to diet yet (even though I probably should lose about 20 pounds) but I realize I have to learn when to say “I’m sorry.  It’s not in the budget.”  …sigh…  Oh the things I’d like to do if resources were unlimited.  These amazing kids who have been through so much that a child should not have to go through deserve so much better.  Needless to say I’m a little bummed out.  There, that’s my heart on the table.

However, this past week was not all gloom and doom.  Anya Z. who helped me out so much last winter is now home from a 2 month work trip to Finland and has been helping me out again.  While the kids are in school we have been going for regular visits to the baby hospital to love on the babies who have been abandoned or who are what we would call wards of the state in Canada.  The police bring babies to the hospital where they spend time for a health check before being transferred to the orphanages.  There is one little boy there just little over a year old whose mother is being deprived of her parental rights under Ukrainian law.  It seems that she forgot him somewhere and then came looking for him…2 weeks later.   

This past week we also went to the kids rehab centre to drop off a donation towards school supplies.  The director is sooo pleased about the McDonald’s and movie day last week and the kids are still talking about it.  We happened to be in the hallway when it was time to start recess and when the kids saw me I was attacked with lots of hugs and requests to play football (soccer).  This was one of those days when I love my “job” more than other days.  Again, thank you so much to those who helped to make it happen.

The other day Yura and I went to visit the folks at the disabled home in Boorie Ooglie.  (I’ve spelled this how it’s pronounced.  It translates to brown coal.)  Because Yura is a former resident there he showed me the entire facility and back hallways which I (and I’m sure others) had not yet seen.  Some of these halls were under lock and key but Yura was able to talk us in.  I am VERY pleased to see that this facility has caught more attention from the outside world.  I saw that some new doors, windows and flooring have been installed in different areas, a lot of new paint on walls and many other improvements.  The main kitchen is currently being remodelled to restaurant standards courtesy of some folks from BC.  However, despite these improvements this facility has a long way to go to take it from the 1950’s style of institution and make it more liveable for these wonderful residents.  They still need proper washroom (they still use chamber pots) and bathing facilities among other things…and don’t get me started about that cage...

I have also been asked to forward this request about Boorie Ooglie.  A ministry programme is going to be starting to give music lessons to the residents.  They would like donations of musical instruments, perhaps guitars (if anyone is coming to Krivoy Rog) or financial donations to buy instruments.  If anyone is interested in helping out please let me know.

So that’s what’s going on for now, as well as me preparing to return to Kyrgyzstan in 2 weeks.  But I see this is getting long, so more on that later. 

Again, thank you for your continued support and prayers.  If you wish to help with my ongoing support or any of our programmes, or help me to sponsor more activities and needs just click the donation link for LinK 127 at the right side of this blog.  You can donate on line or find the mailing address under the “Details and Contact info” tab to send a cheque.  When mailing a donation please include a note to specify where you may like your gift to be directed to.  (For on line donations there’s a drop down box with my name in it.)

 Thank you for seeing my heart.  Till next time…Я люблю тебя!



Anya & I at the baby hospital

Boorie Ooglie's new kitchen

This is going to be a fitness room

Some of the Boorie Ooglie residents and I

Passing out candies in the cage...

and in the rooms...

...as well as outside

Yura (on the left) with a resident

No comments:

Post a Comment