Sunday 3 June 2012

Children’s Day


This past week was a very slow one for me as I was sick with cold and flu for most of it.  I thought I was feeling better on Thursday morning and started getting ready to go to the Children’s Day celebrations at Beikut Orphanage but then my energy just gave out and back to bed I went.  (The next time in Canada I must remember to pack some Neo-Citran.)  However, after another day in bed I was able to take in some celebrations on Friday.  I think I packed in a week’s worth of stuff in one day to make up for the slow week.

June 1st is Children’s Day which is a HUGE deal here.  The closest Canadian equivalent that I can think of is Mother’s Day except it’s for children.  The first stop was to the Tokmok Baby Orphanage for their official celebrations where I was able to see baby Almaz again.  He is the baby that was abandoned at a bus stop likely because of his two club feet.  We will be helping him get corrective surgeries for his feet through our Operations CAN be Done programme at LinK 127. 

After that I tagged along with the Lamb International folks to the Dayspring home to pick up the girls for an outing.  I got a chance to see how the garden is doing that we helped to plant.  (The peas that I planted didn’t do so well.)  Then we stopped and they got some strawberries which the girls took to the folks at the Kemin Senior’s Home.  While there, Sergey introduced 2 more ladies to a special friend.  Sergey is amazing to watch in action.

Then it was off to Orlovka where a few of us stayed and the Lamb folks went on a picnic and swimming with the girls.  Sergey is hosting a friend, Osin, from Norway this past week whose organization (I forgot the name) donated the container of goods to Lepta Plus that I mentioned a few blog entries ago.  We stopped at the store and Osin bought some ice cream and cookies which we took to the kids at Orlovka Orphanage. 

After spending time with the kids at Orlovka we rushed back to Tokmok for a very quick freshen up and then off to an amazing youth service in Bishkek.  Then after returning to Tokmok we ended the day with a shashleek supper.


So that’s the latest news.  It’s hard to believe that in 3 weeks I’ll be back in Kyiv for another leg of my journey.  Thank you for your continued support and for your kind thoughts.  If you wish to help with my ongoing support or any of our programmes just click the donation link for LinK 127 at the right side of this blog.  You can donate on line or find the mailing address under the “Details and Contact info” tab to send a cheque.  When sending a donation please include a note (or make a selection in the drop down box for on line donations) to specify where you may like your gift to be directed to. 

Thank you for seeing my heart.  Till next time…Я люблю тебя!

Celebrations at Tokmok Baby Orphanage

Almaz

Some of the Dayspring girls delivering strawberries

Orlovka Orphanage.  Go team Kyrgyzstan 2007 might see a few familiar faces here.

No comments:

Post a Comment