Sunday 2 June 2019

It's Been a Month Already

I've been in Ukraine a month already and this is the 1st chance I've had to do an update. I arrived in Kryvyi Rih on May 2nd and hit the ground running. I met with Loads of Love's country director Ira the day I arrived to plan the summer. It's been busy so far and it'll continue to be busy for the rest of my time here on this trip.

So far I've spoken at 2 village churches and I've attended a service at the new Boorie Ooglie (Brown Coals) church. To remind you, Boorie Ooglie is a home for mentally and physically disabled men. Last year the corrupt director was ousted and replaced. The new director got rid of the rest of the corrupt staff and allowed a church to be established on the property. I've really noticed a huge change in the atmosphere there. I even noticed there was meat in the meals now. The service was amazing and it was great to reconnect with the guys. Now if the new director would just get rid of that cage...don't get me started on that one. I might not stop.

I also went to one of the public schools that Loads of Love visits regularly. I helped out with English in one class and in the History class they were studying Canadian history. They really know their stuff, lots of which I had forgotten about our history. I spoke a little bit about relations between Ukraine and the Ukrainian Diaspora in Canada.

After that I was taken to the remote village of Krasnivka for several days. Loads of Love has established a camp there for the disabled and any others that don't have the opportunity to go to camp. We were painting and cleaning the camp and getting things set up for a new season. The day I left the 1st guests of the season arrived.

These last couple of weeks involved preparations for the camps that are sponsored through Loads of love. The theme this year is "Mission Possible." We made some videos for lessons, and did a LOT of cutting and gluing to get the crafts ready. Our 1st camp of the season started May 27th at the Sophia School in Kyiv for about 70 to 80 kids. My role was to help with beginner English classes and activities for them.

That's the nutshell version of my activities in Ukraine so far. Stay tuned for more things over the next couple of months. Those of you on my Facebook list will probably have already seen my photos. I'm posting a sample of them below.

On a separate note, this is something I want to throw out there to see if there will be any interest. As most of you know since I started this work in 2011 I have always wanted to come to Ukraine to do this work full time. My life in Canada is that classic exhausting North American rat race where I literally don't have the time to do much fundraising. I don't have a large Canadian salary and I don't receive a salary or stipend for what I do in Ukraine.

I would like to pause here to say thank you to all of you who have generously given resources over the years for what I have been able to do so far. You have been a huge blessing to many.

So, the apartment where I have been staying in Kryvyi Rih is for sale at an amazing price in Canadian dollars. Real estate here is at an all time low now as many people have gone to Poland to find work. As amazing as the price is I just don't have it. It would help my work here a lot if I had a permanent place. Then I could look further to making that step to move back to Ukraine long term.

If you would like to have more information or to help me out with this please send me a private message. You can reach me by email using the form on the right side of the blog. Those of you on Facebook can also reach me on Messenger. Thank you so much.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you for seeing my heart...я люблю вас!!


This is Ira & I planning out the summer.

At one of the village churches.

Before the service at Boorie Ooglie I had time to take my candy bag to the hospital section.

The church at Boorie Ooglie.  As many times I've been here over the years I didn't know this room even existed.

Talking to the history class about relations between Ukraine and the Ukrainian Diaspora in Canada.

A before and after of the fence at Krasnivka.

Taking a break on our video shoot.  I bought a cheap tent to use for accommodation at one of the village camps in July.  It made a great prop for the video and a decoration for the 1st camp.

Arriving in Kyiv to do the 1st camp.  All of this and 8 people managed to fit into 2 small train compartments.

The 1st camp at Sophia School.

No comments:

Post a Comment