Sunday 22 July 2012

Summer Activities – Request for Help


Things have been rolling along here in Krivoy Rog with summer activities in full swing.  Last week we finished the deliveries of Natalie’s fruit and juice treats to the children’s invalid home to some very happy kids.  Church has been busy with some special speakers coming in and with gearing up for a conference this coming week.  I have also been busy with room mates and I now have a whole new appreciation of any parent who has teenagers.  Oy vey! 

This week I went along with Ira K. and some of the gang to a nearby town called Apolostova where there are some outlet stores.  We were shopping for bedding and other necessities for 15 kids who are graduating out of Sunshine Orphanage to start life on their own.  This is going to be a huge and scary step for them.  I was also VERY happy to find trucks on the roadside there selling samsa and lipioshki.  Samsa is, I guess you could say, the Uzbek version of a pizza pocket (but is a thousand times better) and lipioshki is the “frisbee” bread I mentioned in previous blogs.  Both of these are sold everywhere in Kyrgyzstan and this is the 1st time I saw them in Ukraine.  They were sooo good.  We also bought and delivered some laundry soap to Boorie Ooglie, the disabled men’s home.

Lena T. and I also went to the kids rehab centre to spend time with the kids.  The rehab centre is for kids who are recovering from addictions and is kind of like Teen Challenge.  It was so hot that we all ended up going for ice cream.  (Our temperatures have been in the 30’s and 40’s Celsius.)  Then we spent the rest of the morning visiting and getting to know each other.  We hope to get in one more visit before the kids go to camp this coming week for 3 weeks.  When they come back I would love to be able to sponsor them on an outing to McDonald’s, as well as for craft supplies for our visits.  This is where the request for help comes in. 

Going to McDonald’s is a HUGE deal for the kids here as they just don’t have the means or the opportunity to go there very often and McJoyful Christmas is still a ways off.  Would you please consider helping me to arrange Happy Meals and transportation for 35 to 40 kids (as well as for some craft supplies)?  Your help would be appreciated soooo much.


To donate you can click the donations link for LinK 127 at the right side of this blog to donate on line.  You can designate the donation to me by clicking my name in the drop down box.  If you prefer to send a cheque you can find the mailing address under the “Details and Contact info” tab.  When mailing a donation please include a note to specify where you may like your gift to be directed to.  If you wish you can also donate to any of our programmes at LinK 127 or for my ongoing support. 

Thank you for seeing my heart.  Please keep me in your prayers.  Till next time…Я люблю тебя!

Ira K. and Yura

A happy director

I wonder if they'll consider driving a few of these trucks to Krivoy Rog?

Another happy director



No comments:

Post a Comment