Wednesday 7 March 2012

Women’s Day March 2012


March 8th is Women’s Day in Ukraine and many other countries.  It is very similar to Mother’s Day in Canada except that ALL women are honoured, not just mothers and grandmothers.  It’s a very big deal here.  March 8th is also our friend Ed Dickson’s ??th birthday.  Happy Birthday Ed!!

 This past weekend we celebrated a little early by honouring the women on our team here in Krivoy Rog, which was provided for by Ed.  It was really nice to give these wonderful ladies a special night out.  In my last blog entry I mentioned how amazing the people on the ground here really are.  After having seen some of these ladies in action, believe me they more than deserved a night to sit down and enjoy themselves.  We went to a Japanese restaurant for sushi…yes, I actually ate sushi.  But I’m still dying for a Papa Burger with cheese, onion rings, a frosty root beer…Oh…sorry…I digress.   The ladies truly enjoyed themselves and wanted to make sure that Ed got a big “thank you.”


Thank you 

Ed!!! 

To me, there is nothing more honourable than (any) woman who has what I call a mother’s heart.  This is the kind of woman who asks where your hat and your gloves are when it’s cold or whether or not you’re getting enough to eat; the kind of woman who fusses over you for everything and makes sure you have a ride home.  After my Mom died in 1998 until I came to Ukraine I hadn’t realized how much I missed hearing that.  (Although I did hear it over the years – thanks Maxine, Sue, Miriam and all my many “church Moms.”)   Here in Ukraine it seems EVERY woman I have met is like that to me, almost a total stranger to them, and I have mentioned some of them in previous blog entries.  I now have many mothers here and as I said to them it shows how much they really do care for others. 

So to all ladies everywhere, thank you for all that you do and for all that you are - may you be truly and richly blessed.  Happy Women’s Day!!

Thank you all for your continued prayers, your support and for seeing my heart.  Till next time…Я люблю тебя!




No comments:

Post a Comment