Sunday 15 May 2016

Getting Acquainted & Reacquainted



Since I arrived in Krivoy Rog I've been busy getting reacquainted with everything as well as getting acquainted with some new friends in the work here.  When I got here last week everything had slowed down in the city with Easter being the weekend before and then the Day of Memory and Victory Day holidays the next weekend.  That gave me time to get the jetlag over with and to get set up in the apartment with supplies and so on.  It's so nice to be reunited with most of my belongings again.  Once that was done it was finally back to work after almost a 2 1/2 year absence.  After meeting with some of the directors here to coordinate things it looks like we have a busy summer ahead.

On the holiday weekend I visited the disabled home at Boorie Ooglie where we delivered bananas to the folks in the invalid section.  Fruit is a big treat as it's something they don't get very often.  Once the holidays were over I was able to tag along with Lena T. and new friend Michele for a couple of days to spend time with the kids at a TB hospital, a children's hospital for orphans and disabled kids, as well as a boarding school.

At the children's hospital we started a lesson by asking:  "What does the word love mean?"  This was quickly followed by a teen girl saying that there is no such emotion as love, that it's all in the head and it's only a physical thing.  I can only imagine what this visibly hurting girl has gone through to think such a thing.  But I think we were able to show and to get through to her what love really is, or at least plant some seeds to get her thinking about it.

This week finished off by going with Dima Z. to Dnipropetrovsk where we visited a graduated orphan to see what his needs are as well as the orphanage where he grew up.  This orphanage was once known as the place that God forgot.  I have often heard about awful conditions in this place in the past.  Many people I know have been there but this was the first time I was able to get there myself.  Over the years there have been a lot of changes where many people have stepped up to help out and it is now one of the best orphanages in Ukraine, a place of many of God's miracles.

As I mentioned we have a busy summer ahead with many things going on.  If you would like to help me with some of these things that will create lifetime memories for those who have so little please click the "donate now" button on the right side of the blog to give a gift on line.  You can see other giving options by clicking the "ways to donate" tab at the top of the page.  Any amount would be appreciated so much by so many.

Please keep me in your prayers.  Thank you for seeing my heart.  Till next time...я люблю вас!!


The people behind me are vets waiting to start the Victory Day parade to the cenotaph.

At a TB hospital with Lena T. and new friend Michele.

A lesson at the boarding school.  Boarding schools here are not the rich kid kind of school, just the opposite.


In the centre with Dima and I is Hermine (pronounced air min ay).  She is director of the orphanage in Dnipropetrovsk which was once known as the place that God forgot.  What an amazing woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment