Monday 4 August 2014

Has Anything Really Changed?



Today as I watched the commemoration ceremonies of the 100th anniversary of the start of WW I, I remembered a letter that was written by my great great grandmother to one of her daughters on June 19, 1914.  Here is a part of that letter.

" I feel sometimes as if this world was not my home but I do look forward to that rest that is prepared for the people of God.  There is so many changes in this world and they are not all for the better."

I have often wondered what she would have thought of the state of the world the following month.  Just 9 days after she wrote this Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in Sarajevo starting the ball in motion for World War I.

Today 100 years later as the russian terrorism continues in Ukraine's eastern border region I can't help but wonder if history is repeating itself.  I pray that it isn't and that Ukraine will have total peace soon.  Glory to Ukraine!!

William and Rebecca (Christopher) Parker - my great great grandparents.  Rebecca wrote the letter.

New Ukraine

No comments:

Post a Comment