Thursday 21 August 2014

Giving Warmth and Dignity



Two years ago last spring the director of the seniors home in Kemin, Kyrgyzstan was sharing needs and asked if I could help to buy blankets for the home.  With winter just barely over she was already thinking ahead to the next winter.  As I've mentioned before a Kyrgyzstan winter can get as low as -35C (-31F) and keeping warm is literally the difference between life and death.

I am so happy that new blankets were delivered to the home recently and the residents were all so happy to receive them.  Thank you so much to those of you who gave towards buying these blankets which are actually more like comforters.  Not only do the seniors, who have very little, get to stay warm this winter they also have the dignity of getting into a nice bed at the end of the day.  This has also helped to support the family of the lady who makes the blankets locally.  A special thank you to my friend Sergey, who made the arrangements to order and deliver the blankets, and everyone else who helped out.

Now that the blankets are delivered it's time to think about buying coal for those who can't afford to.  Before we know it the snow will be getting lower on the mountains and into the valley and many will worry how they will keep warm this winter.  If you would like to help to spread some more life saving warmth please let me know.

For those of you who've asked, my arm and ankle have been doing very well since the operation.  My movement is so much better and the physiotherapist is amazed at my progress so far.  I still hope to return to Kyrgyzstan in late September and then Ukraine in November.  I am also still praying for financial miracles or I won't be able to go.

Would you like to partner with me so that I can return to show a father's love to those that need to see it?  If you would, please click the "donate now" button on the right side of the blog to give on line.  For other giving options please click the "ways to donate" tab at the top of this page.  Every dollar will be appreciated by so many.  Thank you so much.

Please continue to pray for Ukraine.  As I always say:  thank you for seeing my heart.  Till next time - я дюбдю вас!!

Aiguila (pronounced eye goo' la) who made the blankets, and Sergey

Tanya, the director of the home, is standing beside Sergey.

You can't tell in the photo but the side facing the camera is a light-weight velour and the back is a t-shirt cotton.  These blankets are not only beautiful but they are sooooo comfortable.


I love seeing those smiles.

August 24th is Independence Day in Ukraine.  Please pray that the russian terrorism will be stopped and that Ukraine will have peace.

1 comment: